Author Topic: EAA Witness Match  (Read 25680 times)

joep19934

• Life Member
Re: EAA Witness Match
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 10:43:25 PM »
I bought an EEA Witness in 40S&W and love shooting it at the Range as well as a half dozen other people I let shoot it.
It feels nice in your hands in my opinion  ;D
18 Day Turnaround
Kent County
NRA Member
DE/PA CCDW permits
BRIDGEVILLE RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB Member
Delaware State Sportsman's Association

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2016, 01:49:29 AM »
i meant in look and style
I got the fever and the only prescription, is more cowbell

NRA Member

Sinker

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2016, 11:47:23 AM »
what's the cost of the gun
When 'window shopping' I usually check out www.gunbroker.com to get a general idea of prices (both new and used) of whatever I happen to be interested in at the moment. 

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2016, 12:30:56 PM »
yeah, but with gunbroker not only are you paying for what they want, which what i have sen is a little high, but you're paying someone to get it through and shipping. i could still with all that get a better price from Chris.

NRA Member

Sinker

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2016, 01:03:22 PM »
yeah, but with gunbroker not only are you paying for what they want, which what i have sen is a little high, but you're paying someone to get it through and shipping. i could still with all that get a better price from Chris.
Absolutely!  Was just suggesting GB as a way to learn the general price range.  For example, I've been kicking around the idea of picking up an older Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle someday.  From watching auctions on GB I have a general idea of the prices on the used market.

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2016, 01:11:09 PM »
but do you trust a used gun?. is there a way other than a tear down to know if the gun has been abused or not. i've been riding bikes for a long time, and i've bought a bunch of used, but it's pretty easy to tell by good pictures if it's beat up, but i also know you never know whats goin on inside the engine.

NRA Member

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2016, 01:22:53 PM »
i watched a guy on youtube last night testing out guns. he would dunk it in warter then shoot, then in sand and shoot, then in dirt then in mud. i wanted to see the performance of a walther ppq ms. it made it up to the mud then failed be the 3rd shot. simply because of the bullet travel into the chamber broungt mud into the chamber making the bullet stick . i thought that was pretty good, i'm still not sold on that particular gun until i put one in my own hands, but i subscribed to his site. but beyond that, with a used gun how can we know if the previous owner hand clumsy hands or not and dropped his weapon on the ground a lot . he could shine it up and say here it is, never dropped while laughing his way to the bank.

Maybe since being new to all this i'm just a bit to paranoid with it. with no matter what you purchase, anything could fail at anytime
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 01:26:15 PM by FreakShow »

NRA Member

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2016, 01:35:53 PM »
Absolutely!  Was just suggesting GB as a way to learn the general price range.  For example, I've been kicking around the idea of picking up an older Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle someday.  From watching auctions on GB I have a general idea of the prices on the used market.

i don't know the market value well enough to figure that out yet. but i get what you mean. hate being so green on things that i feel like the village genius

NRA Member

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2016, 09:39:07 PM »
I have a circa 2006 Ruger mini 14 in a black standard synthetic stock. Tons of fun. Ive always liked that Garand style action. Yes, I have a Garand as well.

I've purchased from Gunbroker BC (before Chris), with good results. A good seller will include tons of photos, including a look at the barrel rifling (well lit). Also look for wear on the feed ramp/throat area, as well as the front muzzle of the gun. Email the seller and ask for more photos (specific ones) if the posted ones are inadequate or out of focus (common).

Here is a little info I had wriiten down regarding the different series mini's:

180 Series Link
Produced from 1974-1977.
Brass ejects upwards.
Shipped from factory with wood handguard installed.
Original Mini-14, no longer supported by Ruger (i.e., no 180-specific parts available)

181 - 186 Series Link
Produced from 1978-1999.
"Standard" Mini-14
No factory scope mounts, single blade front sight, low round rear peep sight.
Brass ejects upwards.
Still supported by Ruger factory parts.

196 - 197 Series Link
Produced from 2000-2004.
Same as 181-186 Series.

187 - 188 Series Link
Produced from 1982-1995.
Mini-14 Ranch Rifle
Factory Scope Mounts, flip-up rear sight, single blade front sight.
Brass ejects to side to avoid contact with scope.
Still supported by Ruger factory parts.

195 - 197 Series Link
Produced from 1996-2004.
Mini-14 Ranch Rifle.
Same as 187-188 Series.

580 - 581 Series Link
Produced from 2005-Present.
Mini-14 Ranch Rifle.
Winged Rear Peep Sight, Winged (3-blade) Front Sight.
Integrated Scope Mounts.
At some point in the 580 Series, Ruger introduced the "heavier," flanged/tapered barrel which improved accuracy and decreased heat sensitivity (stringing).
New Castle County

Sinker

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2016, 06:27:56 PM »
Thank you; that's gold right there!  I've always been partial to the wood stock versions; for purely aesthetic reasons.