Author Topic: New Member From Uk  (Read 11853 times)

tp155

New Member From Uk
« on: July 17, 2010, 10:58:37 PM »
Hi all just returned to the USA after growing up in the UK.
I own a sig mosquito and a full size beretta px storm in 9mm.
It feels great having Rights!
I would like ccw but can't say I feel threatened or have any real reason to want carry a concealed weapon other than the old saying of it's better to have a gun and not need one etc,etc.
I doubt this would fly with the courts so what dose somebody who doesn't have to bank large amounts of cash at night etc use as a reason? I just want what's mine lol!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 01:44:22 AM by Sigarms12 »

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
Re: New Member From Uk
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 12:27:52 AM »
Welcome to the forum and as far as CC goes a reasson of wanting TO PROTECT YOUR SELF AND Family is more then enough reasoon to carry and I'm sure there are many people here who can help you with finding the right reason.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 01:51:06 AM »
Please don't take this as an insult, but spend some time reading the local paper.  In the case of Delaware, the local rag is The News Journal (TNJ), and its online publication Delawareonline.  Within a few days, it should become painfully obvious that no one/place/time is safe.  Violent crime happens in the middle of the day and the middle of the night.  It happens to all races.  It happens to men, women, children, and animals.  It happens on the street, in your car, at the local store -- and even on your own property.  It's not about being paranoid, it's about your ability to read.

From there, you can start thinking about your own personal exposure, such as:  where do you live, work or play; what times of the day or night are you out; and so forth.  It's not about feeling threatened, it's about realizing that you are not safe. 

When crafting your reason for the application, the main thing to remember is that YOU have the right to protect yourself.  It's nice to add some color to your reason, but I wouldn't add so much color that the response is "why don't you just move" or something like that.           
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 12:25:30 PM »
Hi all just returned to the USA after growing up in the UK.

1st, welcome!

Not going to assume. What state do you now call home?
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 01:31:35 PM »
Delaware law doesn't force you to get the required training until the court approves your application... but it's often a good idea to get trained before you apply.
Some of us think it speeds the (glacially slow) approval process, but another reason is that the instructors help you complete the application and reasons to carry.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

tp155

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 12:02:51 AM »
Thanks to all for the welcome and the advice. I'm pleased and proud to call Delaware my home state. After reading through the Dover post I was quite shocked to see just how wrong I was about Dover being a harmless little town! I know you can find trouble anywhere if you go looking but really thought compared to London there was really nothing to be concerned about. Any suggestions as to where I take the training? Shooters choice is the range I use and they seem like a friendly bunch. I know they offer the course there

Pete D.---

• NRA Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 05:56:08 PM »
Hey tp155- you can also get some eye opening reading at the Delaware State Police Website- reading the news releases every couple of days really helps put things in prospective for me- hope it helps you as well. Pete D.---

http://dsp.delaware.gov/

PS: their scanner is pretty neat trick as well
"This food fights back!" Myke Hawke Peirce