Author Topic: Greetings from the top of the state  (Read 13337 times)

kyleisagod

Greetings from the top of the state
« on: August 11, 2010, 08:27:44 PM »
Hey everyone, I found this site awhile back and know what I need to do to get my CCW (though I may post with questions during the process) thanks to this site, but there's one thing that's bothering me - and that's the reason why I want the liscence.

My cousin, who is a police officer in New Castle, told me that my reason (of "I want the CCW because I wish to carry but open carry will garner me too much negative attention and I want to be able to defend myself") wasn't good enough.  So now I'm stuck.  I'll be looking around to see if I can get my question answered.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Re: Greetings from the top of the state
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 08:46:04 PM »
When I was about to apply in 2005, I was advised to get the required training before applying: most instructors will help you prepare your application.
It worked.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

kyleisagod

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 08:57:46 PM »
I was under the impression that you had to have the training very close to the application date, rather than doing it before and running out of time, as it were.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 09:13:54 PM »
The law actually permits you to postpone the training until after your application is approved by the judges.

However, many permit holders went the other way: we got the training before filing the application.

kyleisagod

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 09:16:54 PM »
How long after I get the training must I apply for the permit if I wish that training to count for the permit?  Or is there a limit, or is it something like months to a year?

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 09:30:34 PM »
I'm not sure. The law doesn't make that clear. I applied within about 30 days after I got the training.

kyleisagod

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 09:37:10 PM »
I understand if you don't want to answer this, but what was your "reason" for wanting the CCW that you put on the application, and were you approved for the licence?  I'd hate to go through all of it and be denied for not having a good enough reason. 

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 10:53:05 PM »
Many people simply put for protection of self and family. Do not put the thing about not wanting to open carry. Delaware has gotten pretty generous with issuing the permits but the judge still wants to see that you feel you need have one and saying that OC would make you feel weird may just get you denied.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 01:29:44 AM by GunEnvy »
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 11:04:28 PM »
I suggest you list specific reasons & situations that why you would need to carry... for example:
"I work nights, so I walk to work after dark. My neighborhood is poorly lit, and there have been several robberies. I fear serious injury or death."

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 01:33:47 AM »
I agree with oldgray, be as specific as you can be but not so much that they issue with restrictions. I don't think they often do that but they can issue that way.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

mrjam2jab

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 02:53:03 AM »
How long after I get the training must I apply for the permit if I wish that training to count for the permit?  Or is there a limit, or is it something like months to a year?

The statute doesnt set any deadline...just says you must show training...

(3) Every such applicant shall file in the office of the Prothonotary of the proper county the application verified by oath or affirmation in writing taken before an officer authorized by the laws of this State to administer the same, and shall under such verification state that the applicant's certificate and recommendation were read to or by the signers thereof and that the signatures thereto are in the proper and genuine handwriting of each. Prior to the issuance of an initial license the person shall also file with the Prothonotary a notarized certificate signed by an instructor or authorized representative of a sponsoring agency, school, organization or institution certifying that the applicant: (i) has completed a firearms training course which contains at least the below described minimum elements; and (ii) is sponsored by a federal, state, county or municipal law enforcement agency, a college, a nationally recognized organization that customarily offers firearms training, or a firearms training school with instructors certified by a nationally recognized organization that customarily offers firearms training. The firearms training, course shall include the following elements:

a. Instruction regarding knowledge and safe handling of firearms;

b. Instruction regarding safe storage of firearms and child safety;

c. Instruction regarding knowledge and safe handling of ammunition;

d. Instruction regarding safe storage of ammunition and child safety;

e. Instruction regarding safe firearms shooting fundamentals;

f. Live fire shooting exercises conducted on a range, including the expenditure of a minimum of 100 rounds of ammunition;

g. Identification of ways to develop and maintain firearm shooting skills;

h. Instruction regarding federal and state laws pertaining to the lawful purchase, ownership, transportation, use and possession of firearms;

i. Instruction regarding the laws of this State pertaining to the use of deadly force for self defense; and

j. Instruction regarding techniques for avoiding a criminal attack and how to manage a violent confrontation, including conflict resolution.
I'm not a gun nut.  I'm a 2nd Amendment enthusiast.

firststatefirearms

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 01:44:15 AM »
Title 11 Chapter 5 Section states "ยง 1441. License to carry concealed deadly weapons.

(a) A person of full age and good moral character desiring to be licensed to carry a concealed deadly weapon for personal protection or the protection of the person's property may be licensed to do so when the following conditions have been strictly complied with": All other requirements set forth in the code.

I put this reason on my appllication, my wife put it on her application and everyone I know that has a CCDW permit used this reason.  All permit requests were approved with NO RESTRICTIONS. 

If you put I carry large sums of money, I work nights, etc., you could be restricted to carrying your weapon at those times.

I would stick with what the law actually states and not add anything else to it.

Just my opinion but it has worked for alot of my friends and customers.
An armed citizen refuses to be a victim.

czer

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 05:46:27 PM »
Hmmm...I was hoping someone would say that, since that is what I wrote on my application. Of course, I have not been approved yet (4 months and counting). I will let you know if I find out that I am not approved.