Author Topic: review of CZ 85B Combat pistol  (Read 24299 times)

czer

review of CZ 85B Combat pistol
« on: August 15, 2010, 08:32:34 PM »
Review of CZ 85B Combat Semi-Auto Pistol, 9mm - Czer
By way of introduction, I have been a recreational pistol/revolver shooter for almost three years, have shot some clays and have had some experience shooting in small bore rifle tournaments when I was in my teens. My most recent interest has been in handguns and I recently applied for my DE concealed carry permit (four months and waiting).  In other words, I have a general familiarity with firearms, but nothing to write home about.
My intention in buying the CZ85B, 9mm pistol was for home protection, as a range gun and ultimately, for possible WORL (without rule of law) situations. In my mind that meant, it had to be very dependable, durable, accurate, comfortable and cheap to shoot, and of course, trouble free. Notice I did not say anything about being super light-weight, thin, sexy, or popular (hmmm, that describes someone I dated in high school…but that’s another review…).

CZ Website Specs

The CZ 85 Combat version was created as an extension of the CZ 85 B with some additional features. The CZ 85 Combat features a fully adjustable rear sight, extended magazine release, ambidextrous slide stop and safety catch, drop free magazine and over travel adjustment on the trigger.
SKU   91210
Price   $702.00 USD
Ammunition
Ammunition   9 mm LUGER
Magazine Capacity   16
Dimensions
Weight   2.2 lbs
Overall Length   8.1 in
Barrel Length   4.7 in
Height   5.4 in
Width   1.4 in
Features
Frame   Steel
Grip   Plastic
Trigger Mech.   SA/DA
Sights   Adjustable
Safety   Manual Safety, Safety Stop on Hammer
With over 60 years of experience in the design and manufacture of small arms, CZUB is today regarded as one of the small arms leader of the world.
State-of-the-art technology, CNC machining centers and skilled personnel are the guarantees of the highest standards of quality.
The common features for all CZ handguns include hammer forged barrels, tight tolerances and great ergonomics.
CZ 75 B is used by more Govern-ments, Militaries, Police and Security agencies than any other pistol in the world. The CZ 75 is quite possibly the perfect pistol.
•   All steel construction (except alloy framed compacts)
•   High capacity double column  magazines
•   Hammer forged barrels
•   Ergonomic grip and controls
•   Unparallel accuracy
•   Slide-in-frame design for    better recoil control
•   3 dot sighting system (Tritium night sights available)
•   Easy operation of controls
•   Smooth double action and crisp single action
•   Extended service life due to advanced design and superior materials
•   Firing pin block safety
Designed in 1975, the CZ 75 utilizes all the best features from service pistols around the world. An entire family of pistols is available based on the basic CZ 75 design, Compacts, Decockers, Double action only, Single action only, Ambidextrous, alloy frames and even Competition pistols.

The Pros
A word about some of the specs above. I special ordered the CZ85B model because it offered a few features that were not on the CZ75, a more popular, less-expensive model. The CZ85B has adjustable rear sights (for the range), a drop-free magazine, a larger slide stop, ambidextrous safety and a half-stop hammer.
I like this gun a lot. It has some very important things going for it. It is deadbolt reliable. I have about 1,500 rounds through it with only a couple FTF’s because of cheap ammo primers – the primers were dented but not ignited. No stove pipes. Zero. What more can I say? This is one reliable pistol.
It is extremely comfortable to shoot, with regard to recoil and pointability. It is a heavy gun, over two pounds, and as expected, this cushions the kick of the 9mm. I have often shot 100-200 rounds in a half hour at the range with little hand-cramp or shakes at the end of the day. It is my go-to pistol when I have introduced my neophyte friends to range shooting. It is a puff-ball.
It is extremely accurate. Its barrel is almost 5” and it has excellent adjustable rear sights, with a very visible 3 dot set-up. The trigger is light and crisp and makes for well-controlled shots. I will not bore you with how good I am or show you targets, but let’s just say I am very pleased with it at 15 yards.
Overall fit and finish is of a quality gun. It feels very solid and yet it is easy to rack the slide. I love the poly-coat black finish (seems like enamel) that has no shine and refuses to show finger-prints.
I don’t think you would call this gun cheap but it’s not expensive. I special ordered the CZ85B from X-Ring Supply, Newark for $589 in 2008.  An important factor in my selection of the 9mm caliber is that it’s cheap! Plenty of range time, little guilty conscience about what else my $ could have bought.
Come to think of it, I take back what I said about this gun not being sexy. After all, sexy is as sexy does.

Cons
Did I mention this gun is big and heavy? At over 2 pounds, it would not be comfortable for me to carry, but then again, that is not why I bought it. To be fair, it is not overly bulky but something akin to a full-size Glock or a common 1911.
The grip is a tad on the full side for me. I have the sensation of not being able to wrap my hand completely around it but for some reason, it doesn’t make a bit of difference in shooting it.
Lastly, the trigger has a little grittiness, which I suspect could easily be handled by a gunsmith but I really don’t care enough to do something about it. Maybe if I shot competition, I would get it cleaned up.
Conclusion
This is an excellent, quality pistol for the purposes I had in mind – home protection, accurate range gun and ultimately, and as a military-capable gun. It is the most reliable, most accurate of the 10 handguns I have owned and I would not hesitate to recommend it.