Author Topic: This is a long wait  (Read 26357 times)

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Re: This is a long wait
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2010, 11:19:04 PM »
I bought a 5-pack of DIY laminating pouches from Staples. So far, I've used three of them: for my permit, my wife's, and my best friend's.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2010, 12:56:33 AM »
and Moosies....    lol
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2010, 11:57:43 PM »
Well today felt a little wierd. I always felt like my shirt was coming up ,so I found myself pulling my outer shirt down ALOT . Also had my super tuck on since 5:30 am and its rubbing my hip some so I may slide it some to see what feels best . I did get to staples and get a copy shrunk and laminated . It atleast fits in my wallet now ;D.  The first public place I entered was a wawa to get coffee. Funny thing was the 1st person I seen was a leo standing there getting his coffee . Felt a little strange but buy the time the day was over I didnt feel like everyone was looking at me. I know things are habit ( atleast with me) so I want to make it a habit to carry that way if I ever need it ( god forbid) I wont be standing there while realizing its not on me.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2010, 12:28:02 AM »
That's funny... I felt like I was doing the same thing all day yesterday!! I too was wearing a super tuck and felt like you could see it out the bottom of my jacket.  I kept fidgeting with the right hand side of my jacket (strong side & carry side).  One of the things I've started doing was when I feel like this is happening, i duck into the ladies room and look.  I am then reassured that it is NOT showing and I can relax a little more. 

My husband and I also have a code word if I am feeling a little exposed... "Have you seen Betty?"  he glances down to see if he can see anything... and then has always replied "Nope".  LOL  Betty sounds a lot better than GUN in a crowd or in public. 

Muleman, was today your first day carrying concealed? If so, you're off to a good start.  You didnt drop your gun on the floor while bending over to pick something up, you didnt shoot anyone, and no one said, "Hey, Mister... your gun is sticking out!"

:)  Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2010, 12:36:13 AM »
LOL LOL. moosie, better keep betty buttoned up  ;D. Yes today was my 1st day carrying concealed. Thanks for the story and moral booster.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2010, 10:47:15 AM »
I've been doing the corporate thing lately, dressed business casual. Nobody (and no written policy) says I can't carry, my permit is valid, and the workplace isn't off-limits by law... but I can't exactly ask, "Is it OK if I carry my gun?"
I carry my S&W 642 in a little Uncle Mike's pocket holster. I felt really self-conscious about the bulge in my Dockers for a few days, but I've come to realize that nobody else notices it.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2010, 01:24:43 PM »
I've been pleasantly surprised that I can go and show houses all day long and meet with a "brazillion" clients and no one has noticed.  I actually find it easier to get dressed for work and carry than to get dressed casually and carry... guess business clothes conceal better! LOL

just for the record, it wasnt me who bent over to pick something up in Home Depot and had my firearm fall out. No, honestly it wasn't! But I do know someone that happened to. Goober.  I did almost drop Betty in the commode one time, but luckily I've never done that again.  :)

Muleman, you'll have to let us know how day 2 went! :)

Moosie

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2010, 03:19:12 PM »
Muleman,

It gets easier with time.  I know I felt the same way when I first started carrying.  Now, dont go anywhere without it (except work).

Oldgray,

Just tell em, "You're glad to see 'em..."

I've not carried at work yet. Well.... While on the clock.  If I run in and do a small job ON MY TIME, then yes I do.  Dont usually have clothes on that will hide a full size gun.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2010, 09:39:36 PM »
The bulge thing has me lmao  ! Moosie everything went well today for me.I even made it in some stores christmas shopping today  .I dont think I checked my shirt as much lol. I onlt take it off for work. But I want to ask about carrying it at work due to some of the things and folks I run into . My job puts me in positions where people get angry with me at times. I never know when im going to run into a bad scene. I am afraid I will be told no just because its easier to tell me no and let me get hurt rather than worry about getting sued or something. Some people just dont understand things when they sit behind a desk all day.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2010, 01:39:21 AM »
The bulge thing has me lmao  ! Moosie everything went well today for me.I even made it in some stores christmas shopping today  .I dont think I checked my shirt as much lol. I onlt take it off for work. But I want to ask about carrying it at work due to some of the things and folks I run into . My job puts me in positions where people get angry with me at times. I never know when im going to run into a bad scene. I am afraid I will be told no just because its easier to tell me no and let me get hurt rather than worry about getting sued or something. Some people just dont understand things when they sit behind a desk all day.

Nobody gets angry with me at work (not that I know if, anyway), but I don't want to ask about whether I can lawfully carry my firearm. Right now, I'm filling in at one company. My former employer put me there, and I'm paid through a third company. None of these companies have said anything to me about carrying.

The first company, where I'm actually working, has made it clear that they intend to offer me a full-time position. If they do, I plan to do something I've never done before: ask for all the terms of employment, including the rules & regulations, before I agree to take the job. I will review them with my wife (who has a law degree) and/or my actual lawyer before I agree to work there.

And I might just decline their offer, if there is a "no firearms" clause in the employee agreement. If I do choose to decline, I'll tell them why... after I've left the building for the last time, because I really don't want to end up on Action News.

As for your situation, I don't think concerns about someone else getting angry at you should determine whether you have the right to protect yourself. I think the question is: will YOU get uncontrollably angry? If you've passed the background checks here in DE and obtained your permit, you have probably answered that question to your own satisfaction... I know I'm satisfied. Carry your gun.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2010, 01:51:15 AM »
I totally agree with OldGrayGeek!! 

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.  If there is no mention of it in you employee handbook, plead ignorance. 

Just my two cents.

Moosie

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2010, 02:09:38 AM »
Im not one to worry about others feelings to much in a suituation such as this . The people getting angry at me is the public due to my job dutys. Its not all the time but when im called to a residence theres always a chance for confrontation .( certain neighborhoods are not places I like to hang around). I was at a job a few weeks back to recover some stoled things of ours and when I showed up the police were investigating a drive by shooting at the house I was going to  :o There were bullet holes down the side of the house. Its hard to say what would happen if I were a few munites earlier  ??? This isnt at every job by no means but it does happen often enough.  Their WAS a sign at the entrance to my work and it read no firearms or fireworks etc.etc. I havent seen the sign for a LONG while ( years). I have been told the policy is no firearms  ???. I just wonder about if you have a permit? I run into quite a few local leo so I may ask and see what they think. Im not sure of the reprocutions if I was carrying and something happened ,or the " higher ups" found out about it. Dont get me wrong If I had to chose my job or coming home at night well.... thats easy. But I dont want to feel like im sneaking around.  I will have to search through the handbook to see if I can find anything about it in there.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2010, 01:22:30 PM »
There was a sign and now it's gone.....  Must be OK then.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

czer

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2010, 03:17:47 PM »
I have also recently started to carry a couple weeks ago, not all the time, but enough to try it in a number of different situations, shopping, doing errands, walking alone at night for exercise, etc. I do not work in an office but travel alot and work from home. I don't know if I can adequately describe how I feel when I carry. There certainly is a fear of embarrasment should I get caught, even a "thrill", like when I was a kid and was doing something my parents might not approve of. I have gotten my nervous ticks down to few...When I first get out of the car, I quick touch my side to make sure my gun is seated in the holster properly (I am afraid that it might have come out a little bit while sitting and then have it pop out when I get out). I have compromised on the bulge-fear by carrying a P-32 Kel-Tec in a DeSantis IWB (or in the pocket) when I am the most concerned since it hardly prints at all; and my Kahr CW9 in another DeSantis IWB, as my usual carry when I feel I have enough cover. A head game I play with myself is to carry my cell phone on my hip under my shirt or jacket, in its leather carry case, and periodically look down at it and say to myself - "See, that thing prints twice as much as my guns do. No one has ever questioned it, you have nothing to worry about." I have also rehersed how I would react if someone did see and question the fact that I had a gun. Someone on this site gave the best advice - just behave like everything is normal. If I feel someone needs a response from me, I plan to say, "Don't worry, I have a permit." and go on with my business.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2010, 05:02:04 PM »
Quite a few things going on in this thread.  Here are some random thoughts, some of which I have said before. 

I do not have the problem of trying to decide if I carry to work or not, it is against the law.  I work in a prison and I have gotten used to leaving at the end of my shift.  I cannot even have a gun in my car in the parking lot. Of course the standing joke is that if something goes seriously wrong and we cannot get to the armory (which is outside the fence) just go to the parking lot, there are more guns there anyway (but not mine, no seriously, not mine).

Dealing with angry people at work?  See the above paragraph!

As for printing or exposing your firearm, like he said, just play it off as if it were a normal everyday thing (which it is). Your reaction goes a long way in determining what their reaction might be. I would not worry unless it actually fell to the ground.

I have changed the way I carry accessories.  I have moved my wallet to my left side and I now carry my cell phone on the left as well.  I am aware some like to carry their cell phone or even hang keys from their belt on their strong side to camouflage any bulge their firearm might make but I have chosen to go the other way.

I figure there are two main types of encounters I may have that could go the wrong way at any time.  The first is of course an encounter with a bad guy.  I want my cell phone accessible with my weak hand as my strong hand very well could be busy holding my firearm or at a minimum, moving my strong hand to a “ready” position.  The other encounter would be with an LEO.  You NEVER KNOW how an LEO will react and if I am ever in a position where I feel the need to inform an LEO that I am armed the last thing I want to do is to instinctively reach to my gun side going for my wallet.  Of course before I would even move after informing an LEO that I am armed I would first ask him “What do you want me to do?”  But as I stated, you never know how they will react. He could say everything is fine or I could be looking at the business end of a .357 sig.

Czer mentioned playing a “head game” to reassure himself and this is important.  Obtaining the proper mindset for carrying a firearm is important and this is a good tactic towards achieving that goal.

I think I have rambled on enough now.   Back to Frontierville.  I…..must…..plant…..more…..corn, oh and ribbons. Anyone have ribbons?

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County