Author Topic: review of Kahr CW9  (Read 20283 times)

czer

review of Kahr CW9
« on: September 30, 2010, 01:13:19 AM »
Review of the KAHR CW9 – by Czer
The CW9 is Kahr’s new entry into the low to mid-priced market in carry size-pistols. It’s price hovers around $500, as compared to their usual products which go for $700+ up to four-figures. The price and Kahr’s excellent reputation lured me in for a nibble. I was looking for an ultra-dependable, small carry piece that had adequate power. I wanted to shoot it a lot on the range but without hurting my hand after 100 rounds. And, as I implied before, the price had to be reasonable. With all that in mind, I settled on Kahr’s 9mm version (they also make a .40 caliber). Since 9mm ammo is cheap (at least ball ammo is) and a lot of police departments use this caliber, it was a no-brainer for me. Please see Kahr’s web site info below:

CW9093 (3.6" Barrel)
Black polymer frame, matte stainless slide
Specifications Comparison (9mm Polymer Frame Models)

Model   TP9   CW9   P9   PM9
Caliber   9mm
Capacity   8+1   7+1   7+1   6+1, 7+1 (magazine with grip extension)
Operation   Trigger cocking DAO; lock breech; "Browning - type" recoil lug; passive striker block; no magazine disconnect
Barrel   4.0", polygonal rifling; 1-10 right-hand twist   3.6", conventional rifling; 1-10 right-hand twist   3.6", polygonal rifling; 1 - 10 right-hand twist   3.0", polygonal rifling; 1 - 10 right-hand twist
Length O/A   6.5"   5.9"   5.8"   5.3"
Height   5.08"   4.5"   4.5"   4.0"
Slide Width   .90"
Weight   Pistol 18.3 ounces,
Magazine 1.9 ounces   Pistol 15.8 ounces, Magazine 1.9 ounces   Pistol 15 ounces,
Magazine 1.9 ounces   Pistol 14 ounces,
Magazine 1.9 ounces
Grips   Textured polymer
Sights   TP9093: Drift adjustable, white bar-dot combat sights
TP9093-NOVAK: Rear Novak low profile 2-dot tritium sight, front tritium sight   Drift adjustable white bar-dot combat rear sight, pinned in polymer front sight   Drift adjustable, white bar-dot combat sights
(tritium night sights optional)   Drift adjustable, white bar-dot combat sights
(tritium night sights optional)
Finish   Black polymer frame, matte stainless steel slide   Black polymer frame, matte stainless steel slide   Black polymer frame, matte stainless steel slide (KP9093), matte blackened stainless steel slide (KP9094)   Black polymer frame, matte stainless steel slide (PM9093), matte blackened stainless steel slide (PM9094)
Magazines   2 - 8 rd, Stainless   1 - 7 rd, Stainless   2 - 7 rd, Stainless   1 each: 6 rd flush floorplate & 7 rd extended grip
* Specifications subject to change without notice

Pros
The moment I picked this gun up at the shop, I was impressed with the quality of the workmanship, its balance (stainless steel slide, polymer base) and the nice grip. This is a thin gun, less than an inch, so it slips easily into an inside-the-waistband holster. I thought a gun with a thin grip like this could not be comfortable, but because its grip is still normal length and the bottom of the magazine juts out, it creates a hand-filling feeling - enough to instill confidence. You feel like you have a full-size gun in your hand.
The CW9 is extremely accurate for a smaller gun, with easily seen sights - one dot below both the rear and front. The trigger is a long Double Action Only, but I quickly got used to pulling it three quarters of the way and then easing the last mm’s. The trigger surface is wide and very smooth, making the shots comfortable. Recoil is amazingly light for this size gun. I am very pleased it is such an easy gun to shoot. There are no jagged edges, a real smoothie.
Cons
Reliability was not exactly pristine. While shooting the first 50 rounds, the magazine kept falling out! Thought it was me.  I watched that I did not inadvertently touch the magazine release and tried another mag.  Still, ker-junk! The magazine sometimes would partially fall out but most of the time, it fell out completely, clattering on the range floor, about three-four times per box.
OK, sent it to Kahr and miracles of miracles, it was back in 8 days. Now that’s service! But my joy was short-lived. No sooner did I put a box through her, the same thing happened. Let’s see, looking at the repair notes they said they “replaced mag catch, polished barrel. lubbed test fired good”. Hmmm. Wonder how much they test fired it! I was back to square one.
I sent it back the second time with a nice letter to the Service Department detailing the problem and a similar fast turn-around occurred. I had it back in about a week. This time they said they “polished the feed ramp, mag well, slide stop. Replaced magazine. Test fired 50 rounds.”
Back to the range with my perfect carry gun. Before I was through two mags, I heard the dreaded sound of the magazine hitting the concrete floor! Now I was more than a little frustrated. I kept switching back and forth between mags – same problem.
I almost sold the gun but I had an attack of conscience. What if some poor slob bought it, didn’t shoot it enough to notice a problem and the mag released when he/she really needed it? My dilemma was that I really did not have the money to just go out and buy another pistol and let this one sit. So, I packed it in the same old cardboard box I had used before and sent it back to Kahr for a third time, again with a nice letter, OK, a pleading letter, to put me out of my misery, give me a new gun, do something!
By this time, I was on a first-name basis with two Kahr gunsmiths and their Service Department superviser. Why couldn’t they figure this out?
Again, in about a week, I had my CW9 back. With trepidation, angst and a little perturbation, I took it to the range. I had this gun since July. It was now September and I had yet to have normal use of the gun, much less be able to carry it with any confidence. I shot a few mags through it. No problem. I went back two more times to the range and shot 200 rounds through with no problem. What did Kahr do the last time? “Replaced frame with new s/n ----lubed test fired Goo” I do not, for the life of me, know what “Goo” was but it may have been magic. In a phone conversation I was told that, in effect, the original frame was a tad too long, which did not allow the magazine to seat properly. They gave me a new frame and since the serial number is on the frame, they were in effect giving me a “new gun”, with a different serial number, although it had the same stainless steel slide as before.
Now the gun is as smooth as silk. Its accuracy is the same, handling is the best and I feel it is finally reliable.
Conclusion
So, in conclusion, Kahr came through but it took a long time and was a lot of trouble for me. I cannot fault them with the quick turn-around of the repairs. And I was able to talk to real people when I persevered. But if I were Kahr, I would have sent me, the customer, a new gun the third time I sent it in for the same problem, just to be fair. But, perhaps, being engineer types, they persisted in trying to “work the problem”. I am happy I have a good gun now but – gee whiz!

« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 01:16:39 AM by czer »

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Re: review of Kahr CW9
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 02:14:47 AM »
Thanks. I'm hoping to need a carry gun for my wife soon.
Looks like it'll be another Glock...
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 10:52:31 PM »
Thanks for the review.
Lumspond
New Castle County

Gorski

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 12:20:44 PM »
Great review, I had a CW 45 and had the exact same problem, Shooter's Choice was great with their service, sent it back 3 times without it being fixed.  Shooter's had had enough as well and refunded my money, did I mention GREAT SERVICE at Shooter's....Loved the gun but couldn't trust it.  replaced it with a Sig P239, never a hitch
Never leave home without it!
New Castle County

czer

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 11:24:49 PM »
Gorski, the funny thing is I did a wide internet search for issues with the Kahr CW9 before I bought it and found nothing, which seemed to bode well. However, if I would have searched under the CW45, I would have seen alot of problems. At this stage the CW9 is reliable, and its specs are ideal for what I want. I put another 200 rounds through it since my review and it continues to be reliable, so I think I am good for the foreseable future. Can't fault you for the SIG though, glad it has worked for you.

Gorski

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 01:23:10 PM »
Hey CZER...glad the cw9 is working out for you.  it was a tough call, I really loved the look and feel of the cw guns, they shoot and carry great.  just had a hard time understanding how Kahr couldn't fix the problem,  oh well...sure do love the sig
Never leave home without it!
New Castle County

czer

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 01:31:26 AM »
And now I have a new toy - got a Kel-tec Sub2000 in 9mm as a SHTF defense rifle (carbine). Guess I will have to do a review of it to, after I have had the chance to shoot it enough. Got it used at X-Ring for $200, in very good shape. It technically fits the concealed carry theme we have here, since it folds in half and can easily fit into a briefcase, though that is not what I got it for. Its main purpose is in close-quarters - the small physical size of the gun makes it handy indoors and the pistol caliber lessens the chance of bullets passing through drywall and wounding innocents in the neighborhood, as a rifle caliber would. Lastly, 9mm ammo is cheap, so plenty of practice is possible on the range.