Author Topic: looking for a shotgun for HD, maybe a little trap  (Read 7994 times)

trevor

looking for a shotgun for HD, maybe a little trap
« on: October 01, 2010, 02:07:20 AM »
I'm looking for an affordable pump 12ga probably an 870 or a 500...any advice?

Saw this at buds:   http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/654_775/products_id/411542031

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Re: looking for a shotgun for HD, maybe a little trap
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 10:08:09 AM »
I know the 870"s are dependable as you can get. I have one that I have beat the heck out of for about 20 years and it never stops working. Remington also has the 887 out now , its more for the waterfoul hunter , it shoots 3.5 inch shells and has a ruber coating over the gun to protect it from the elements. They seem to have more plastic parts than the 870.  I guess it all depends on what you are going to use it for. Good luck!

g23

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 06:01:34 PM »
Well im still new to the shot gun world but I think the 870 will work for your need. In a perfect world you would want a shorter gun for home defense however it will still do the job. I wouldnt spend the extra $$ to step up to a semi auto unless your going to get serious about shooting clays.

Pete D.---

• NRA Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 01:08:10 AM »
G23- that's one sweet gun! I was looking at the police model 870 as well and did a lot of looking for an affordable one. That's is a price I have never seen for the 870P. if its real, I would snap it up. It would be nice to inspect it first of possible. I don't think it would be great for trap, but you can not beat it for home defense imo!
"This food fights back!" Myke Hawke Peirce

Pete D.---

• NRA Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 01:14:33 AM »
(sorry, hit post somehow) I ended up with the Mossy 590 A1 which I came across used for a similiar price- it's awesome, but that 870P is the best of the best! For Trap, (granted I'm no expert here), its not too expensive to get a longer barrel to swap out. That's a nice combo. That's my 2 cents anyway- I'll wait with you to hear more for others here. Pete D.---

Pete D.---

• NRA Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 01:19:05 AM »
and.. duh! that was to Trevor not G23 (not to worry folks, I'm not carrying tonight!!) Just kidding, but I will sit down and shut up now- Pete D.---

trevor

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 02:02:01 AM »
Thanks, Folks.

I might followup on Bud's 870. There a guy over on delloc with an 870 express, and being local and able to see  it first, might work out.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 02:12:59 AM »
My first shotgun was a Mossberg 500 with a 28" barrel and three chokes... bought it at Dick's for $199.
I shot quite a bit of trap with it, even finished second in a wobble trap competition.

Now, it's my wife's bedside backup weapon, full of slugs.

Great gun.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

czer

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 01:00:13 AM »
trevor, it seems everyone thinks you are going to use this for defense, can you confirm? But if you want to use it for clays, of any type, and want something inexpensive, then maybe a used semi would be better. After shooting alot of clays a 12 guage pump may bang you up. Smyrna Sporting Goods has a good selection of used semi's, such as the Remington 1100, 12 guage $350-500......However, as home defense, I agree a pump with a shorter barrel would be best.

trevor

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 02:42:10 AM »
Well, I was hoping to use it for both. For HD, I currently have an assortment of pistols, but of course a shotgun has high esteem as a HD tool. I dabbled in trap several years ago, but didn't have my own shotgun. I know a pump is less than ideal for clays, and that an auto would be better...but since it would be just dabbling (till it becomes another 'must have') I can't really rationalize an auto.

My (secret) plan is to get a pump for now and use it to get my feet wet. If the trap interest become strong, I could later on make a more significant $ commitment. The pump would then become dedicated to HD, while the new Purdey (HAH!)  becomes the Trap gun ( http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/fortune/0801/gallery.collectorguns.fortune//index.html )

czer

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 11:18:14 PM »
Well now, I heartily agree the Purdey would be my choice, if I were King!

bggwind

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 04:57:19 PM »
Well, I was hoping to use it for both. For HD, I currently have an assortment of pistols, but of course a shotgun has high esteem as a HD tool. I dabbled in trap several years ago, but didn't have my own shotgun. I know a pump is less than ideal for clays, and that an auto would be better...but since it would be just dabbling (till it becomes another 'must have') I can't really rationalize an auto.

My (secret) plan is to get a pump for now and use it to get my feet wet. If the trap interest become strong, I could later on make a more significant $ commitment. The pump would then become dedicated to HD, while the new Purdey (HAH!)  becomes the Trap gun ( http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/fortune/0801/gallery.collectorguns.fortune//index.html )

I'm new to the board, but I've been frequenting the DELOC board and other firearm-related places. 

My primary shooting outlet now is trap shooting, and while there are many trap-aficionados (ie-snobs) that will try to convince you that you need a Browning/Beretta o/u to do trap - that's not the case.  The issue becomes a function of barrel length and chokes.

If you go the 870 route, anything less than a 26" barrel will be problematic for you (you'll miss a lot and it won't be a lot of fun, which is the point after all).  Typically a good HD shotty will be a shorter barrel for tight quarter maneuverability, and the clay games favor a longer boomstick.

870 barrels are fairly easy to come by, so if you can grab an 870 Wingmaster with a 28" barrel with Remchokes, that would be great. You can always keep the gun configured with the shorter barrel and a cylinder choke for the HD purposes, and then swap out for your longer barrel with an IM or full choke for the trap field.

Hope this helps!

Simpleman71

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 10:51:46 AM »
I have a remington 870 police magnum with knoxx spec ops stock. It is a beast. Highly recommend.