Author Topic: What's your Home Security Set-Up?  (Read 15277 times)

Pete D.---

• NRA Member
What's your Home Security Set-Up?
« on: October 12, 2010, 12:19:06 AM »
That's a sweet looking shotgun Moosie! How'd it shot for ya?

I have the Mossburg 590 A1 and love it. I wish it had come with that nice light and laser. I added a light, but that's a nice combo. I also added a 6 round side saddle on receiver and 5 round soft cuff-saddle on the opposite side of buttstock- lots of ammo quickly at hand if needed. I have a progressive mix of #4 and 00 buck, and then slugs if I should ever need the extra distance- I live in a brick house which might reduce the over penetration. I don't know though-I'll bet that slug would bust right outta the wall! The #4 Buck seems to be the best choice in my house setting.

I was considering having the first shot be a non-lethal one- like a bean-bag or rubber bullet job, still not sure about that. I'd be interested in hearing what set-up you, or anyone else, settles on. Pete D.---

Hey all, I posted this as a response to Moosie's recent shotgun acquisition, and I wanted to really get a discussion going about what others have as a Home Defense plan in place. I also posted this below to Mchaz1 after he had a break in:

I have a two story house and use a digital baby monitor to hear what's happening downstairs- it has a vibrate feature which wakes me right up when I put it on my nightstand! I also have a remote control to various lights downstairs that I can turn on very brightfrom my room- that way if its one of my several kids, they will call out to me, or it might scare off someone. I only hope and pray that I never have a break in- I 'm sorry to hear about yours- no one was hurt right? Take care, Pete D.---

I was hoping to get a discussion going about people's plans and set-ups. This will help me in my on-going planning I am sure- thanks, Pete D.---
"This food fights back!" Myke Hawke Peirce

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
Re: What's your Home Security Set-Up?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 01:10:05 AM »
I'm going on a scavenger hunt at Moosie's anyone want to come?
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 01:11:31 AM »
I have a few firearms close at hand . I always greet with one on hand. I have a door all friends come to. Anyone at another door ... Well I know they are not a normal visitor.  

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 01:12:22 AM »
If you can get past the dogs, be my guest.  LOL  Upped my home owners insurance to cover them all.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 08:13:52 AM »
Oh I forgot after the scavenger hunt there's going to e a pool party ;)

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 02:04:23 PM »
ROFL.  Yes.  Pool party & hot tub at the end of the scavenger hunt! 

How's yer grass thing coming along, Sig?

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Knotacare

• NRA Endowment Member VFW Life Member
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 10:30:34 PM »
I keep a mossberg 500 beside my bed, a couple of loaded firearms elsewhere in the house. I also have a fully monitored professionally installed security system & a system that tells me when some is on my property & where they are. Next time someone breaks into one of my cars they will not be happy.
Alan

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 11:00:46 PM »
ROFL.  Yes.  Pool party & hot tub at the end of the scavenger hunt! 

How's yer grass thing coming along, Sig?

Moosie

Need to call your guy I've been so busy at work the past two days I keep forgetting. I have a short day tomorrow, gonna try and call tomorrow

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 11:49:07 PM »
The first line of defense at our house is a set of clearly visible security cameras, which can be seen from the street day or night. (My wife asked, when I installed them, if I was going to do a better job concealing the wires. I said, "Hell, no!")
A few days after I mounted the cameras, a pair of daytime burglars came through our neighborhood, hitting every house without cars in the driveway... except ours.

The second line of defense is locked doors. Every door on our house is locked with a double-cylinder deadbolt all the time, whether we are home or not. (We keep keys near the door, but not in the locks: we can get out in an emergency, but nobody can reach the keys through a broken window).
If the doorbell rings, I answer it with my Safepacker in my hand: it holds a Glock 29, and a spare magazine. If I am not home, nobody answers it. Both my wife and my mother-in-law know that they must not answer the door unarmed, day or night... while they know how to shoot, they simply choose not to respond to an unexpected knock or doorbell.

While we hope that those defenses will prove adequate, we are prepared in case they do not. Each of us has a firearm in our nightstand: the women have revolvers, and I have a Glock 20. Behind my bedroom door is a Saiga-12 with nine rounds of #00 Buck. (Next to the Saiga is a bag with five more loaded eight-round magazines). In the corner behind where my wife sleeps is a Mossberg 500 holding five one-ounce slugs. We have already planned what each of us will and will not do if I need to investigate a noise or disturbance in the house.

As you can see, I am a pessimist. I assume that when something goes wrong, it will go massively wrong. I intend for the women to survive when that happens, and I hope to join them.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 01:41:02 AM »
Ummm....I think you have seen one too many zombie movies.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Pete D.---

• NRA Member
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 02:08:38 AM »
Like I said before, Old Gray- I like your style! I haven't had a chance to fire those 10mm Glocks yet- how do they shoot for you? And that Saiga- SWEET! Having the magazines on the 12 ga is truely the answer to the shotgun's weakness- lack of readily available and quickly loadable rounds. I also like the way you've involved everyone in the plan. I can't have my nugs here and there around the house like I wish I could- due to the kiddos, but our doors remain locked and no one answers the door- they just come and tell me or my wife that someone is there. If we don't know them, the door stays closed. That really sucks, but in todays world, that's what it takes.

Hawkeye, please to share your set-up. Reading your past posts tells me that I can learn a lot from you!

Thanks to all, Pete D.---
"This food fights back!" Myke Hawke Peirce

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 02:38:20 PM »
My home defense strategy has recently changed. My son moved out so there is no chance of meeting him on the stairs coming up with his guns as I descend with mine.  We had talked about this scenario and how to handle it using safe words and such.  

Anyway, for my nighttime HD I have a Glock 21SF on my nightstand with the typical laser sight/flashlight combo and a not so typical 30 round magazine.  I then have a Benelli Nova Tactical 12 gauge loaded with 00 buck in the corner.  Which one I reach for is determined by which tactic I decide is best at the time.  If I am going to search for the intruder I will carry the Glock and I have a predetermined manner to conduct the search.  If I decide to hold up in the bedroom and wait for them to come to me, which I might do if I believe there are multiple intruders, I will arm myself with the shotgun.  

Of course if I awaken with the muzzle of a gun pressed against my head all my plans are out the window and I will kick my dog in the a$$ when it is all over.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 02:48:47 PM by Hawkeye »

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 06:01:10 PM »
Ummm....I think you have seen one too many zombie movies.

I do not like zombie movies; my pessimism is influenced by having seen every Die Hard film so many times that I've counted the rounds John McLane fires from each magazine in each film.
Every time they make a new one, I end up buying more magazines...  ;)

My wife's home town was taken and sacked by the Nazis, so I get no argument from her or her mother about my OUR determination to defend our home.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 06:19:33 PM »
Like I said before, Old Gray- I like your style! I haven't had a chance to fire those 10mm Glocks yet- how do they shoot for you? And that Saiga- SWEET! Having the magazines on the 12 ga is truely the answer to the shotgun's weakness- lack of readily available and quickly loadable rounds. I also like the way you've involved everyone in the plan. I can't have my nugs here and there around the house like I wish I could- due to the kiddos, but our doors remain locked and no one answers the door- they just come and tell me or my wife that someone is there. If we don't know them, the door stays closed. That really sucks, but in todays world, that's what it takes.

Hawkeye, please to share your set-up. Reading your past posts tells me that I can learn a lot from you!

Thanks to all, Pete D.---
Thanks, Pete. I like the 10mm Glocks enough to have completely given up .45 ACP: it feels weak compared to the 10mm Auto rounds. I find the recoil sharp but plesant, like a good .357 Magnum. I am completely satisfied with the guns' accuracy and reliability.
My wife shoots them very well, too.

I didn't really like Glocks until I bought my first one in 10mm. I ordered and bought the Glock 20 because I wanted to own a 10mm handgun, and it seemed like the best one available. As soon as I fired it, I knew I had made the right choice. Now, I carry a Glock 29 with a spare 10-round mag, but you'll usually find one or two loaded 15-round G20 magazines in my center console just in case.

As for the Saiga: if it's good enough for Spetznaz, it's good enough for us.
I don't care how fast any other "tactical" shotgun is, a Saiga-12 can deliver boxes of shells downrange, mag after mag, faster than any other shotgun on God's gray Earth... until it runs out of loaded magazines, anyway.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 10:37:14 PM »
I love OldGrayGeeks posts, and always learn something.
I placed a keyed lock on my bedroom door, and lock it. I have my two large dogs in the room with me. Remington 870 with buckshot, and Sig P226 in the nightstand. Also I'm always reading reports of intruders kicking in the front door, so I have a 2x4 propped between the front door and adjoining steps.
Lumspond.
New Castle County