Author Topic: What's your Home Security Set-Up?  (Read 15275 times)

Pete D.---

• NRA Member
Re: What's your Home Security Set-Up?
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 12:08:14 AM »
Man, you guys are awesome- thanks for the replies. Its so nice to know that all my planning isn't just me watching too many zombie movies! Hawkeye- I love that 30 rounder in that 21 SF! That'll work. From my room I can cover the whole staircase with relatively good cover with my 12 ga. That way with the downstairs lights on bright, I can make sure no idiots can get to my kids. That Saiga would sure be nice though. That Benelli is another sweet shotgun- very smooth and very fast.

Oldgray,
I find the recoil sharp but plesant
and
faster than any other shotgun on God's gray Earth...
Love it!

I often think about intruders getting to my room before I wake up- especially thinking of my 2 daughters in the room next to mine. I keep my G26 in a little holster I made that sits on a bar between the mattresses (like the ones seen in magazines, but... FREE)- when lying down, it's right next to my hand. I keep that in condition 3 however, which I know would be way too slow if confronted, I've got to get over that! (could be a dead-newbie!). Seems like that baby monitor is working very well to give me a heads up to any noises. And hey, thanks Lumspond- I COULD just lock the door! dah.. that'll work too! And, KnotaCare, having the video monitoring sounds awesome! Great plan. Be safe all, Pete D.---

"This food fights back!" Myke Hawke Peirce

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2010, 12:29:16 AM »
PeteD,
Make sure your girls keep the windows locked, especially if on the ground floor. Way too many stories of bad guys coming in thru the screens.
Lumspond
New Castle County

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2010, 03:46:42 AM »
I think that a dog or dogs are very good deterants to a crook ( great 1st defense). I think just the visual of a dog will keep your home safer regardless if it bites or not. Although a large mean dog wouldnt hurt  ;D.

USMC@UDEL

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2010, 04:21:40 AM »
Speaking of a Home Security Set-Up, I am about to move up to Newark in January from Alabama. What are the worst areas of New Castle County anyone? Oh, and I have a Mossberg 500A 12 Gauge Persuader with folding stock, Century Arms 1911A1, and if you want to bring all your "homies" and "gangsta-@@@" crew with you, I am more than willing to pull out my Bushmaster XM15 M4A3 with plenty of magazines. Talk is cheap, but so is ammo.

Semper Fidelis Delawareans!!!

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2010, 06:45:28 PM »
An incomplete list:
Middletown Village
Almost any development with mixed single-family homes and townhomes
Much of the New Castle area
Most of the big apartment complexes
Everything behind the K-mart in Bear
Much of Wilmington
Anything within an easy walk of a trailer park

...I'm sure there are many more.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2010, 07:05:18 PM »
As a Realtor, I send this link to potential buyers who want to know what the crime rate is for a particular area. 
http://www2.nccde.org/Maps/PoliceCrime/default.aspx

It at least gives you an idea of what kind of crimes go on, how many, etc. 

Hope this helps. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Pete D.---

• NRA Member
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2010, 02:01:18 AM »
Thanks Lumspond- luckily, all of our bedrooms are on the second floor which makes covering the staircase, and getting advanced warning of errant sounds, so important. My girls don't quite understand why their dad, and mom, don't let them open their windows, or blinds for that matter. They think I'm just an over-protective worry-wart! I tell them, yes dear, that's how much I love you, and I hope, pray, and PLAN you NEVER need to understand my thinking! I know I'm a BIT jaded, but I've seen too much to do anything else- it's a one way trip that has no other outcome. I work to protect them, and that does seem a bit crazy at times. I'm not sure how I'd deal with the thought that they got hurt and I didn't do all I could to prevent it. I'm very happy to know I'm not alone! Take care all, Pete D.---
"This food fights back!" Myke Hawke Peirce

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2010, 10:17:17 AM »
Kids, don't forget to have a cell phone handy in / on the nightstand. 

We dont have a home phone anymore, just cell phones.  I keep my cell phone plugged in on my nightstand.  Dont get any bright ideas, it's turned to silent if Im in bed LOL.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2010, 01:57:04 PM »
One thing everyone should have handy is a good high power flash light. I don't care what anyone says this is a MUST, remember you want to confirm what your target is before you shoot.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

g23

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2010, 02:38:36 PM »
Reading this post makes me want to go spend more money on personal/home defense equipment. I keep ALL doors and windows locked. I have a dog that barks ONLY when there is good reason and have firearms for both my wife and I. However I wonder if those of you that have guns around the house in certain rooms have kids or not. Also how often do you have guests over. I ALWAYS have mine on my side but the wife keeps hers locked up when I am around. Having kids around my house often you never know when they are going to snoop around so things are kept on lock down.

Also I see that many of you keep multiple loaded mags around. How long do you keep then loaded for? Do you think it damages the spring in the mag having it loaded all of the time. I keep one loaded in the gun and one spare loaded with me at all times but no other mags are loaded. I also shoot about once a week and rotate the mags out. I like to know that the mag im carrying  has no problems loading so I keep them marked and pay close attention when I shot with them last.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2010, 04:09:15 PM »
First, Sig... you're dead on.  Yes, flashlight is a must.  Good thinking!!

Nope, no kids here.  We dont have kids in our house typically either -- if we have a party, etc. some of the firearms are put up...  as in the ones that would potentially be found by younger hands.  If an adult comes across one well.. they get tossed out for nosing around my house!  Please dont think that my firearms are laying around like candy.  They most certainly are not.  It's not as if every drawer you open up is filled to the brim.  I have several firearms placed around the house in what I feel are well hidden, yet easily accessible locations.  My husband is also aware of what is there too. 

I shoot at least once per month, sometimes more, sometimes a little less.  My mags stay loaded until I go to the range with whatever I'm shooting that day and then get a refill.  I don't bother worrying about the spring as I do thoroughly inspect both the gun and the magazines when I'm at the range and again when they get cleaned. 

Moosie

USMC@UDEL

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2010, 01:15:39 AM »
Hey Moosie thanks for the link. I saved it to my favorites a long time ago, but like I said thanks. And Old Gray Geek I appreciate the list. I was told that New Castle was a shithole by a friend.

And SigArms is right. I dentify your target. I've heard of too many incidents in Iraq and Afghanistan where they shot the wrong people. And unfortunatley too many dumbasses here in Alabama will see a rustling in the bushes, shoot it, then go see what they shot at. That's how they hunt down here. I think I'm making a good choice by moving to Delaware.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2010, 02:42:41 PM »
http://ruger.com/micros/DBV/plan.html

For those of you who might not have given a whole lot of thought to a "plan", here's a start!  Even if you have one, it's always good to hear good info again. 

Also, I've started taping the "concealed carry" show on Saturday mornings.  Good stuff.  Not great, but there's no other show out there like it! LOL 

Moosie

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2011, 11:23:04 PM »
Reviving this thread   ;D

I sleep with an AR-15 next to the bed, as well as my EDC pistol.

F16WarBird

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2011, 02:12:33 AM »
Mossberg 500 12ga loaded with 2 3/4 00 Buck shot.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 02:15:02 AM by F16WarBird »

"They're saying goodbye in their own way. Playing outlawed tunes on outlawed pipes."