Author Topic: "happiness is a worn gun" article in Harper's magazine, by dan Baum  (Read 9772 times)

czer

Wondering whether anyone has read this August article by Dan Baum in Harpers Magazine, "Happiness is a worn gun", about a liberal Democrat who decided to concealed carry and report his experiences. It has very honest impressions and I think would surprise some who think liberals are reflexively against concealed carry as an intelligent option for normal Americans. Hope these links work, if not, Google "Happiness is a worn gun" by Dan Baum and you will find the chat page of S and W Forum, and you will find the same links as below. There is also a radio interview of Baum, on NPR.

http://tiny.cc/0f5bm - pdf article

http://whyy.org/cms/radiotimes/2010/07/27/happiness-is-a-worn-gun-with-writer-dan-baum/ - NPR radio interview

What jumps out at you after reading/listening? Are you surprised? Encouraged? Does it put us in a good light? Etc.?

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Re: "happiness is a worn gun" article in Harper's magazine, by dan Baum
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 02:44:32 PM »
I'm not a Democrat, I'm a liberal: Democrats go to meetings.
(the old joke: I'm not an alcoholic, I'm a drunk...)

I, along with several of my fellow armed liberals, have banded together to support the RKBA on DailyKos, believe it or not: it's an uphill battle, but we keep slogging away.
We report our experiences, and defend the Second Amendment, to the most liberal community on the Internet at least twice a week.

This afternoon, our group's regular Thursday posting will include the story (also told here) of the traffic ticket I received last Saturday while driving cross-country and wearing a concealed firearm.

Here's a sample from last February, gently but firmly explaining concealed carry reciprocity agreements to those who likely fear them.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

czer

Re: "happiness is a worn gun" article in Harper's magazine, by dan Baum
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 03:39:47 PM »
Wow, Oldgraygeek, your blog in Daily Kos really spells it out. And thanks for an introduction to the website - its right up my alley! Let me know what you think about the Baum article - I think it is a great introduction for liberal-minded people, who have not thought through the implications of the Second Amendment. And let me know, by email, if you prefer, how I can become more politically active...