Author Topic: New member about to purchase first handgun.  (Read 11628 times)

ellington

New member about to purchase first handgun.
« on: October 17, 2010, 01:19:18 PM »
Hello,

I've done all of my research and have decided that I would like to purchase a glock 26. Once I obtain the firearm, I intend on beginning the process of obtaining my ccw permit. However, I have two issues that I fear may deny me the right to purchase a handgun. In 1997 I was charged with shoplifting misdemeanor in Ga and I also recently received a notice from the DMV that I cannot re-register my vehicle until I pay two parking tickets that I received in Wilmington. I planned on paying off the tickets (which I forgot about) at the end of November when I register my car again. Will either of these issues deny me the right to purchase a handgun? I wanted to make my purchase this week...
"Don't pull the thang out unless you plan to bang. Don't even bang unless you plan to hit something." Andre 3000

Pete D.---

• NRA Member
Re: New member about to purchase first handgun.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 02:15:40 AM »
Hey Ellington, I'm sorry to say that I don't know the exact answer to your question, but I wanted to say two things about your post- 1. Nice weapon choice! and, 2. I would say that IF you got the gun legally, then you have a good shot at the permit. I don't figure they would have approved you for the gun, if your past was such an issue. Keep the faith and give it a shot (so to speak!). All they can do is say- no! Maybe wait to complete the costly classwork part until they give you the go ahead? Other's here are much more knowledgeable then I on these things cause I'm pretty new to it all, so I'll wait with you to hear their answers. Take care, Pete D.---
"This food fights back!" Myke Hawke Peirce

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 10:20:44 AM »
Ellington,

Pay your parking tickets ASAP. As for your HIA (head in @@@) incident in GA, I would imagine that given it's been 13+ years between then and now and assuming you havent been in any other trouble since then, they shouldn't balk at it.  Not sure what GA's laws are, but if you can, consider getting it expunged. 

Just my two cents.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

ellington

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 11:14:07 PM »
Thank you! Soooo..... the story gets better. I got denied the right to purchase the firearm and I had NO idea why. According to Delaware State Police records, I am a convicted felon who spent 12 months in the slammer.... This couldn't be further from the truth. I've always voted and I currently work in a Head Start program. I've worked in education for over a decade and have never had any other run-ins with the law. I contacted the State of Georgia and they confirmed that I plead guilty to a misdemeanor and paid a $250 fine. So now I'm in the process of getting a copy of my conviction so that I can prove my standing to Delaware. Unreal... Hopefully, this will all be cleared up within two weeks. Surprisingly, the lady in the state court clerk's office in Ga was SUPER sweet. She confirmed everything to me and made sure that the computer records were correct. I have no idea how such an error could occur, but I've learned my lesson twice about being on the wrong side of the law. Another funny thing is that I actually had to contact a special microphiche department because the damned conviction is so old. When this is all cleared up, I look forward to working towards getting my CCW and becoming a part of this community. I should also say that the sargeant I've been corresponding with in Dover has been perfectly cool thus far. It's been a sucky situation with some strange pleasant surprises in the middle of it all.
"Don't pull the thang out unless you plan to bang. Don't even bang unless you plan to hit something." Andre 3000

ellington

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 11:15:27 PM »
Also, Ga doesn't expunge or pardon misdemeanors unless the conviction affects your quality of life...

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 09:06:33 PM »
Wow that sucks good luck with getting that cleaned up.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.