Author Topic: concealed carry practice in the auto  (Read 8973 times)

czer

concealed carry practice in the auto
« on: November 29, 2010, 12:56:17 AM »
As a new concealed carry license holder I would like guidance about how to incorporate my car in my carry strategies. I have found there are times when I need to unholster and store my weapon in the car. As an example, I was visiting relatives over the holidays and knew I would be rolling around on the floor with kids and dogs and decided it would be awkward to have my weapon popping out at inopportune times, so I stored my pistol in the car. I keep a small gun safe, attached to and under the front seat for this purpose ( I have hatch back - no trunk). Is it safe or legal to do this for the four or five hour visit? How about overnight? What if my wife (who does not have a license to carry) decided to drive the car to the corner store, while the pistol was stored in the car, and I was elsewhere, and she was stopped by a cop? What if I am doing errands and I want to go to the post office and therefore can not take my weapon inside. Since it is a pain in the neck to lock the gun up in the gun safe for just a minute - is it alright to pop it in the glove compartment and lock it? I short, what is legal and or safe with respect to stowing a pistol on board? What if I wanted to just keep a pistol in the locked glove compartment indefinetly, to have as needed? Is this legal or advisable as a license holder? While storing it onboard, do I have to separate the gun from the ammo, as in the case with a non-license holder? Thanks for any advice.