Author Topic: Need some guidance......  (Read 12724 times)

colt0208

Need some guidance......
« on: December 08, 2010, 04:21:46 PM »
Ok, so I just filled out my application, and have my 5 questionnaires filled out and signed... And plan to hit the post office next week for my photo id's and schedule my fingerprinting.... So where do I go from here? Do I turn everything in to the prontho's and then wait to hear from them before I take my firearms course? Do I need to take that now? Any help would be very much appreciated....

Moosie

• Life Member
Re: Need some guidance......
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 06:55:58 PM »
Hi Colt,

Welcome to the site and to the process.  Please visit to following link which has the entire process outlined for you.

http://deccw.com/index.php?topic=7.0

If you have any questions after reading that, please feel free to ask.  :)

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

colt0208

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 07:53:25 PM »
Awesome, just read that info, looks like a fairly straight forward process. What is an acceptable reason to use in the question where they want to know why you want a ccw? Should I just use "for protection of person and personal property"? Is that enough for them or do they want more information? I want the best shot for approval on the first try..... Thanks alot!

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 08:36:18 PM »
Did not see in the items you've completed, your ad in the paper.  That MUST have been published 10 BEFORE you can file your paperwork.  If you've not done that yet, DO IT NOW!

If you are planning on finger printing at Troop 2, call now to see when they are scheduling.  It may be a few weeks from now.  If they do not fit your time line you can always go to Dover SBI for printing.  Once you are finger printed you have 30 days to turn in the paper work.

The course is up to you.  I took my course after turning in all of the paperwork and getting approved.  I received a letter stating I had 90 days from the date of the letter to turn in my certificate or I would be automatically denied.

Hope this helps.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

colt0208

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 02:33:50 PM »
Radnor.... Got as far filling out my application with my 5 references filled out. Trying to find a paper in the Smyrna/Dover area with the 35% that I can run my ad in for the 10 days... once I get that squared away I will schedule my fingerprinting/background check and photo Id right? I also found a place to take my course. So I think I will wait to see if I pass the approval process before I lay down the money for a course...

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 03:18:36 PM »
Try the Delaware State News. They are used to it and are familiar with the process.  Just make sure that when they send you the Affidavit of Publication they use the correct county.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 12:41:10 AM »
The Smyrna Clayton Sun will run it cheaper than the Dover Post, but is the same company (makes a lot of sense, doesnt it?!).  That serves 35% of your area. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 02:04:46 AM »
CYA, call the Prothonatary(SP?).  They will be able to tell you based on your zip code.  It only runs ONCE in the paper.  You must wait the 10 days AFTER it appears in the paper before submitting your application.

Since your Dover area, SBI for printing.  I think they accept walkins!
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

colt0208

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 02:14:18 AM »
The Smyrna Clayton Sun will run it cheaper than the Dover Post, but is the same company (makes a lot of sense, doesnt it?!).  That serves 35% of your area. 

Moosie

Thanks! I stopped in the office of the sun times and they are going to run it.... Really nice people, very familiar with the process.....

Radnor..... Heading into Dover to get printed next Monday, I called and yor right, they said walk ins welcome.. So all I have left is my photos and we are good to go...

Thanks again everyone, for the info!

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 12:49:22 PM »
Once you get printed, the clock STARTS.  You have 30 days to turn in the paperwork.  Remember 10 days after the newspaper.

Then, the LONG wait starts...

colt0208

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 08:41:12 PM »
Once you get printed, the clock STARTS.  You have 30 days to turn in the paperwork.  Remember 10 days after the newspaper.

Hey radnor..... I can submit my application and wait to see if I am approved, and once approved then take my firearms class? I think it was stated on here somewhere you have 90 days after your approval to take a class right?

John

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 11:15:07 PM »
I went ahead and took the class and will be turning everything in at once.  I don't know if it helps having the class up front but figured I'd get it out of the way.  $150. gamble but I can't imagine not getting approval.

colt0208

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 11:55:47 PM »
I went ahead and took the class and will be turning everything in at once.  I don't know if it helps having the class up front but figured I'd get it out of the way.  $150. gamble but I can't imagine not getting approval.

Who did you use for your class?

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 12:14:06 AM »
Once you get printed, the clock STARTS.  You have 30 days to turn in the paperwork.  Remember 10 days after the newspaper.

Hey radnor..... I can submit my application and wait to see if I am approved, and once approved then take my firearms class? I think it was stated on here somewhere you have 90 days after your approval to take a class right?

Absolutely!  I did it that way.  I received a letter stating I was approved and I had 90 days from the date of the letter to turn in a certificate or I would be automatically denied.

As far as speeding it up, I dont know.  It will some.  It cuts the time out to draft and send a letter and wait for your cert.  If everything is turned in at once, once the 5th grader has some time it will be assembled.  (Wait til you SEE it! - You'll understand)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 12:17:39 AM by Radnor »