Author Topic: New Ccw handgun..... need some opinions..  (Read 8555 times)

colt0208

New Ccw handgun..... need some opinions..
« on: December 30, 2010, 04:56:01 PM »
So I turned in all my paperwork for my ccw permit..... and now have alot of time on my hands to find a pistol. I currently have a Ruger P95 that I am going to sell towards something a little easier to carry. I am thinking either a Glock 26 or 19.... Wondering if anyone carries either of these? Is the 19 a little harder to conceal? Is the 26 too small for a guy with big paws,lol? Any other nice carry guns in that price range? I was also looking at Kel-tec PF9 9mm, any word on these? Thanks alot so far for all the good advice!!!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 05:59:00 PM by colt0208 »

John

Re: New Ccw handgun..... need some opinions..
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 09:33:41 PM »
Wow, we are in the same boat.  I also have a P95 but decided to keep it as it is fun to shoot.  Most people will recomend the Glocks and they are great guns but they just look funny to me.  I ended up with the XD40SC and I love it so far.  You can rent and shoot either models at Shooter's Choice in Dover.  I turned my paperwork in this week also.  Have fun picking out a gun!

colt0208

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 10:07:12 PM »
Cool man, good luck! I hear alot of good things about the xd pistols... How was shooters on prices? Maybe I will take a ride down there tomorrow, I live in Smyrna... Thanks man

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 01:37:22 AM »
Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know that I usually shop for my guns in smyrna but I have found that lawman supply on rt 10 near the AFB has respectable prices. Just figgured its one more place for you to check out.

John

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 02:53:22 PM »
Lawmens is a great store.  They had the BlackHawk Serpa Holster in stock for my XDSC.

Pete D.---

• NRA Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 06:13:52 PM »
Hey Colt, I have both the 19 and 26 and love them both. The 26 is nice for concealing everywhere but in my pocket, and the 19 is great for open carry or shoulder holster. Yeah, they MAY look a bit weird, but it's comforting to know it'll work every time! That XD is nice too, but for me, the height of the slide makes it harder to conceal. Have fun, Pete D.---
"This food fights back!" Myke Hawke Peirce

John

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 09:57:38 PM »
Pete, do the Glocks kick any less?  Less muzzle rise then most others?  I'm probably gonna end up with one ;D Thanks.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 10:13:43 PM »
Glocks are not bad, I just take too high of a grip and end up with slide bite every time.  >:(
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

John

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 10:19:38 PM »
I'm gonna take my own advise and go rent one before I buy.  I know my buds who are PoPo swear by them in .357  I love a small gun so it would be compact or sub. for me.

firststatefirearms

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 04:20:34 AM »
I perfer the Smith & Wesson M&P Compact.  You can purchase them with a thumb safety if you like.  Plus they come with changeable palm swells to fit different size hands.  The price is compareable to the Glocks.
An armed citizen refuses to be a victim.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 09:51:24 PM »
I can say that the M&P compact is very nice. Very little muzzle flip in 9mm.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

czer

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 01:13:11 AM »
John - As for how hard a handgun will kick...that usually depends on how much it wieghs, but also how it is balanced. Felt recoil also varies alot with the shape of the grip and whether there are alot of sharp edges around the grip! My CZ85 9mm is well over 2 pounds and recoils so little, it is easy to rapid fire without alot of muzzle flip. I have shot a .45 Para that was, likewise, very soft in the hand. On the other hand, my .38 Special snubbie was so hard on me that I sold it. The Kahrs are well balanced and muzzle flip a little but do not bite, ditto with the XDs. Just be aware that the smaller and lighter your handgun the more it will have felt recoil.

Pete D.---

• NRA Member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 02:38:19 PM »
Hey John, as far as what "kicks" harder, I think Czer hit it right on the nose, and all these posts make good sense. I'll I can say is that I've never been "bit" by a glock, so I guess it depends on hand size and grip. At just under 20 ounces empty, the 26 (9mm) is easy to shoot. I also like the M&P's- very nice. The gen 4 Glocks also have the changeable palm-swell, but the M&P has that trick down pat. Shooting them all will be a lot of fun and informative! Let us know how that goes- I wish I had the cash to go and do that too! See ya, Pete D.---
"This food fights back!" Myke Hawke Peirce

John

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 09:29:51 PM »
Thanks guys!

colt0208

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 10:19:27 AM »
Well I ended up with a Glock 23.... and love it..... Got a great deal on it, and is alot easier to conceal. And I am goig to hang onto the ruger as a range and bring for friends gun.... all I need now is my permit and a supertuck holster and I will be a happy boy.... Thanks for the info guys.