Author Topic: A few questions I couldn't find elsewhere  (Read 15239 times)

chipperi

A few questions I couldn't find elsewhere
« on: January 07, 2011, 06:39:25 PM »
A few questions I couldn't find elsewhere or were a little vague. I will be traveling back and forth several times over the next year to see my parents in Millsboro, about 20 minutes outside of Rehobeth Beach.

Now I know De accepts my permit, but I sill have a couple questions.

1: Can I carry in Restaurants where alcohol is served as long as I am not drinking like I can here?

2: I have seen conflicting answers on this one...Can I carry while driving.

3: Is the beach considered a WMA or a park? and do they have any Ordinances contradicting state law?

4: How anal are LEOs there? Here in TN if they see it they usually just ask what kind is it and "You have a permit right?". Pretty easy going

5: Is DE a Notify state? Do I have to tell an officer I am carrying as soon as he approaches?

Thanks Guys/Gals

Chip
Piney Flats, TN
KJ4QCV

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Re: A few questions I couldn't find elsewhere
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 09:33:52 PM »
Chip,

1: Can I carry in Restaurants where alcohol is served as long as I am not drinking like I can here?
Yes.

2: I have seen conflicting answers on this one...Can I carry while driving.
Yes

3: Is the beach considered a WMA or a park? and do they have any Ordinances contradicting state law?
Yes, you can carry at the beach.

4: How anal are LEOs there? Here in TN if they see it they usually just ask what kind is it and "You have a permit right?". Pretty easy going
First, they shouldn't see your concealed gun. But it happens. Shouldn't be a big deal, unless the LEO is right out of the academy!!

5: Is DE a Notify state? Do I have to tell an officer I am carrying as soon as he approaches?
No law stating you have to notify, but everyone here considers it good practice. I do.

Cheers,
Tony
New Castle County

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 11:42:58 PM »
Yes, you can carry at the beach.

Cape Henlopen STATE Park.  State park regs 24.3 (I think). 
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 01:13:11 PM »
Just remember Cape Henlopen and Indian River are State Park and per their regulations carry if prohibited.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

chipperi

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 11:40:50 AM »
Cool Thanks alot. I usually carry openly unless I am going someplace crowded like a mall restaurant etc. Even though I live in an area that is a mix of Urban Suburban and Rural. I have never had a problem most people react positively even police. That is if anyone notices it at all. In TN you need a permit to carry Openly or Concealed but there is no law saying you have to carry concealed. That way we don't have to worry about BS brandishing laws and other homemade charges if we print or accidentally expose getting something off the top shelf at Wal Mart.

But when in Rome do as the Romans do, When in DE I will wear a cover shirt.

I did notice you guys have to jump through some hoops to get your permits. Character References, an interview..wow.

Thanks Again
Chip 

mrjam2jab

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 04:03:09 PM »

I did notice you guys have to jump through some hoops to get your permits. Character References, an interview..wow.

placing an ad in a newspaper...  >:(
I'm not a gun nut.  I'm a 2nd Amendment enthusiast.

czer

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 11:56:44 PM »
And, of course, waiting for 4 to 6 months, even after you jump through the hoops.

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 09:18:50 AM »
  Even tho most people cring at the course, It is very good on drilling in when you can pull it, And when you can not.. 
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

chipperi

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 04:52:36 PM »
Here you take an 8hr course that includes classroom and range time it costs about $50 depending on where you take it. Take the certificate to the DMV and pay them $115 they take your pic and send you to a UPS store to get digitally fingerprinted. Then your Permit will come in the mail in about 6 weeks usually sooner. Expensive but painless. I have had mine for about 3 yrs now.

g23

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 08:52:06 PM »
Your first question is if you can carry where alcohol is served as long as your not drinking... Someone correct me if im wrong but I was under the impression that you could carry AND drink. (Not that it is a good idea) I thought the law stated that you were legal to carry as long as your under the .08 limit.. I do sometime have a beer or two while out and carrying but if I know im going out for a night of drinking I always leave it at home.

After reading the question I looked to find where I read about the .08 but havent found it yet.. Someone please let me know if this is accurate as I dont want to continue if its illegal.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 11:44:41 PM »
Yes, it is legal for you to carry concealed in Delaware and drink.  It's not a good idea in my opinion, but it is legal. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 12:20:48 AM »
I make it a point to never drink while carrying this is just asking for trouble.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

John

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 03:27:08 AM »
g23, I see where you are comming from...you go out to Red Lobster and have a beer or two while eating your seafood but stil want to carry.  I don't carry yet but when I can it will be a two drink MaX...if any at all.  I don't want anyone including myself to be a gun tote'n drinking fool.  Concealing a weapon holds us to a higher standard. 

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 12:29:01 PM »
I'm with Sig.  Drinking at all while you're carrying is just asking for trouble. 
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

John

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 11:27:07 PM »
I think you are right....if you ever had to pull, One drop in your system could give a lawyer something to hold against you.  Carry = No beer for me.