Author Topic: Concealed carrying in Newark, DE  (Read 4241 times)

ChrisCar

Concealed carrying in Newark, DE
« on: August 16, 2015, 08:19:20 PM »
As some of you know, I received my permit two weeks ago; I'm still new to carrying, so please forgive my ignorance.  I'll be going to dinner in Newark later this week and would like to carry (concealed, of course).   I know Newark has some unique ordinances, so I just want to be sure I'm clear.

I'll be going to a restaurant, then likely strolling along Main St.  From what I can tell, I should be fine; but I would welcome the collective wisdom of the Forum in case I'm missing something.

For example, I have no intention of entering any University buildings, but what if we inadvertently wander onto Univ property?  Is that a problem?  Seems like the school owns half the town, and I don't want to become a felon just because I walked down the wrong block. 

Thanks in advance. 
New Castle County
DE CCDW,  PA LTCF,  UT CFP
NRA Benefactor Member
DSSA Member

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
Re: Concealed carrying in Newark, DE
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 10:34:57 PM »
Not familiar with Newark ordinances except that communities are pre-empted from making their own gun laws (Dover is grandfathered in prohibiting open carry without a letter from the police chief). They have a parks law that is probably invalid but is a caution.

Re UD, shouldn't be a concern unless you are a student in which case the university rules apply.  See this thread for more info. 
http://deccw.com/index.php?topic=3546.0
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 11:08:21 PM »
The street and sidewalks are public property of the citizens of Newark. But, like we always say, Concealed, means Concealed, so how would anyone know.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 01:13:54 AM »
The street and sidewalks are public property of the citizens of Newark. But, like we always say, Concealed, means Concealed, so how would anyone know.

I agree. Any contact with police, which can result from somebody merely seeing a weapon, has the potential to cause trouble even if no laws have been broken.

Which leads me to another question: who's your lawyer? Have you chosen one yet?
If not, you should. Many of us on the forum have already made arrangements with an attorney, in case we need one.
Just about anytime a concealed carrier and a gun gets involved with the police, he or she needs a lawyer.

I'm partial to Joe Hurley, myself. Others prefer Eugene Maurer. Another really sharp young attorney, Kevin Tray, works out of the same address as Joe.

Pick a lawyer. Stop by their office. Ask the receptionist for a business card, and explain why you need it. Ask if there is an emergency number for evenings & weekends.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

ThePixelated

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 09:07:39 PM »
I conceal carry in Newark many times. As long as it's concealed no one else can see it.

robberbaron

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 09:19:36 PM »
I used to own a rental property in Newark. I always carried when working on the property and going to Lowes and HD and even walking Main Street looking for a lunch spot. I never had a problem.