State News & Gun News > NRA & National Gun News

Starbucks changes direction on Open Carry in their shops

<< < (3/5) > >>

Bmel17:
Actually they did ask that "weapons" not be brought into their stores.  They did not say CC was ok. 

If they asked those shameful gays to leave their gayness at the door in starbucks.  Don't want them queering the place up. We would say they are anti-g ay. Starbucks has taken an anti-gun stance by telling gun owners you're not welcome to bring your gun into starbucks.  They are trying to straddle the line by decrying guns to appease the antis, but to say we won't kick gun owners out to hopefully not alienate gun owners.  We don't want your guns, but we won't refuse your money in other words.  That is pretty anti to me.

So moosie, you blame the OC guys for expressing their rights.  Blaming others in the gun community for expressing their rights is akin to the antis blaming a gun EVERY time there is a mass shooting and then blaming gun owners as a whole for the gun bans/restrictions.  2A "supporters" are so fractioned, we aren't going to have a chance in the coming years of anti-gun legislation.  We should be all in for the 2a, not just supportive of certain provisions of it.  Rights should be expanded on, not restricted. 

The carrying of long rifles by a few at these "appreciation" days were so few and far between that I refuse to believe it was the reason crapbucks took this position.  It was the fact that gun owners were rallying behind them and were gaining momentum.  The antis were scared and complained and then complained some more.  They hit them in the pockets just like we all should now and not patronize crapbucks any longer. 

That being said, since they took an anti-gun stance, I will not patronize crapbucks.

JOET:
The only thing that StarBucks should get is one of these cards

http://www.learntocarry.com/nogunsnomoney/

SturmRugerSR9:
Thankfully there are still resturants you can go to and get coffee with a meal and they keep your cup full. At Starbucks, a cup of coffee cost as much as a small meal. No thanks.

Moosie:

--- Quote from: Bmel17 on September 22, 2013, 09:25:53 AM ---So moosie, you blame the OC guys for expressing their rights.  Blaming others in the gun community for expressing their rights is akin to the antis blaming a gun EVERY time there is a mass shooting and then blaming gun owners as a whole for the gun bans/restrictions.  2A "supporters" are so fractioned, we aren't going to have a chance in the coming years of anti-gun legislation.  We should be all in for the 2a, not just supportive of certain provisions of it.  Rights should be expanded on, not restricted. 

The carrying of long rifles by a few at these "appreciation" days were so few and far between that I refuse to believe it was the reason crapbucks took this position.  It was the fact that gun owners were rallying behind them and were gaining momentum.  The antis were scared and complained and then complained some more.  They hit them in the pockets just like we all should now and not patronize crapbucks any longer. 

--- End quote ---

First, let me back up..  I went and read the open letter directly.. my apologies that I had read an article which noted certain parts of his letter. You're correct, he does ask that no firearms be brought into / onto Starbucks property. He didn't ban them. As his letter addresses, yes, it WAS the OC folks (obviously not every single OC'er) that created an issue and they abused the 'Customer Appreciation Day' and made it their own personal political event.  I don't have to tell you how pro 2A I am. However, when individuals go above and beyond to display firearms in a manner that I find to be confrontational, THAT is not helping anyone who wants to see the 2A supported and expanded.  Were they within their rights to open carry?  yes. Did they do so in a manner that would invite those who aren't on our side to support the 2A? No. Not at all.  I don't OC nor will I ever. However, I DO support OC for others...  but like any person who is going to carry a firearm, I think that it should be done so in a responsible manner. I would LOVE to see the 2A become supported country wide and have a firearm in every household...   however, waving guns around simply because we're "allowed" to makes it harder to those who do not currently support our constitutional right to wrap their head around our stance / argument for the 2A. 

I'll still carry in Starbucks.. why? Because it's not an outright ban. It's not against the law (yet).

Moosie

oldgraygeek:

--- Quote from: Moosie on September 23, 2013, 01:58:19 AM ---
--- Quote from: Bmel17 on September 22, 2013, 09:25:53 AM ---So moosie, you blame the OC guys for expressing their rights.  Blaming others in the gun community for expressing their rights is akin to the antis blaming a gun EVERY time there is a mass shooting and then blaming gun owners as a whole for the gun bans/restrictions.  2A "supporters" are so fractioned, we aren't going to have a chance in the coming years of anti-gun legislation.  We should be all in for the 2a, not just supportive of certain provisions of it.  Rights should be expanded on, not restricted. 

--- End quote ---

First, let me back up..  I went and read the open letter directly.. my apologies that I had read an article which noted certain parts of his letter. You're correct, he does ask that no firearms be brought into / onto Starbucks property. He didn't ban them. As his letter addresses, yes, it WAS the OC folks (obviously not every single OC'er) that created an issue and they abused the 'Customer Appreciation Day' and made it their own personal political event.  I don't have to tell you how pro 2A I am. However, when individuals go above and beyond to display firearms in a manner that I find to be confrontational, THAT is not helping anyone who wants to see the 2A supported and expanded.  Were they within their rights to open carry?  yes. Did they do so in a manner that would invite those who aren't on our side to support the 2A? No. Not at all.  I don't OC nor will I ever. However, I DO support OC for others...  but like any person who is going to carry a firearm, I think that it should be done so in a responsible manner. I would LOVE to see the 2A become supported country wide and have a firearm in every household...   however, waving guns around simply because we're "allowed" to makes it harder to those who do not currently support our constitutional right to wrap their head around our stance / argument for the 2A. 

I'll still carry in Starbucks.. why? Because it's not an outright ban. It's not against the law (yet).

Moosie

--- End quote ---

Amen.
We need to remember how convenient it is to live in a state with very few restrictions on where we can carry, partly because "No Guns" signs and corporate policies do not have force of law. We can carry in movie theaters, malls, Starbucks, churches, polling places, bars...
Let's keep it that way.

We're better off when we fly under the radar. That does not include carrying openly, which is and should remain legal... but is not necessarily a good idea. If not for the "Starbucks Appreciation Day" publicity, that open letter would never have been written.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version